Background

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Make-Your-Own Computer Backgrounds

This is a very simple idea, but one that so many people overlook.  I don't know about you, but I spend a LOT of time looking at my computer screen.  I have a large monitor that sits on a desk in my kitchen, so it has impact.  I like to change up my backgrounds every month.  Sometimes I use photos, but lots of time I will just whip something up on Photoshop. Since my New Year's background is only up for a week or so, I don't get too strung out about it.

It's easy to personalize a background if you have a photo editing program. 

1.  Find your monitor size. (Directions for Windows 7)
  • Click on the Windows button in the lower left hand corner of your screen.
  • Click on "Devices and Printers"
  • Double click on the icon for your monitor.  It should then show you the resolution of your screen.  Mine says: 1920x1080p resolution
2.  In your editing software, set up a blank document in the apropriate size.  For my monitor I make the document 1920 pixels wide and 1080 pixels tall.  I usually set the resolution at 100dpi (which means dots per inch) for backgrounds, but if you are going to want to print your background for any reason, use 300dpi.

3.  Import pictures, artwork files, and text to make something that will be pleasing to you.  I like to include a calendar because I never know what day it is!

4.  I like to save my files to a document folder called "backgrounds."  If you always save things there it will be very easy to change out the backgrounds.

5.  To change your background:
  • Click on the Windows button in the lower left hand corner of the screen
  • Click on Control Panel
  • Click the "Change Desktop Background" in the Appearance and Personalization area.
  • Scroll to the area where you saved your file.  The same folder will pop up automaticaly next time, so that's why it's great to save all your backgrounds in one place.

Not ready to try it yet?  Give these simple backgrounds a try!

New Years Background
January 2012 Background  Thanks to The Graphics Fairy for the use of the birds and snowflake.

1 comment:

  1. I change my backgrounds often. Where do you find those great wallpapers though and how do you get the calendar in there? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete